The Lost Lennon Tapes

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

The Lost Lennon Tapes

Postby Ram1 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:29 am

Did anybody here used to listen to this? It was a weekly Sunday radio program in the late 80s/early 90s hosted by Eliot Mintz on Westwood One. It was basically a culmination of HUNDREDS of hours of interviews Mintz had with John in the 70s up until his death. Including rare studio and demo versions of JL songs. I still have a tape or two somewhere with some of the shows on it. Some pretty good stuff.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:37 am

Interesting. Would be cool to hear. I always loved to hear John's voice. Did EM have that kind of weird way of speaking back then? Very deliberate speech pattern and kind of annoying, lol.

I have one of his last interviews on LP...called "A love Play" or something...always a sucker for JL's voice.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:25 am

quote:Originally posted by Steve-o
Did EM have that kind of weird way of speaking back then? Very deliberate speech pattern and kind of annoying, lol.

Yes, LOL!! His voice reminds me of an older man trying to give a little kid candy on a street corner or something. A little freaky. But yeah, I totally understand what you're saying about John's voice. I love listening to it too. I'm surprised he didn't get annoyed by the 1 million different times in 10,000 different interviews that Eliot asked him if The Beatles were ever going to get back together. But John always had some good answers. But from John's responses, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that The Beatles would have gotten back together eventually. JL seemed very interested and up to doing it. But it just had to be for the "right reasons" or the "right forum" to do it in. I have to admit, it was really cool to hear John sound so optimistic about it and hear his ideas about how they could do it, but Eliot at times POUNDED the question into the ground by asking John if they would ever get back together, then follow-up to JL's answer, then follow-up to the follow-up with another question. I suppose John kept his cool because Eliot was a friend. But most other people, I think he would have said, "screw off" eventually, lol.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:24 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
His voice reminds me of an older man trying to give a little kid candy on a street corner or something. CHOKEAJACKOLIKEBLOKE!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:24 am

I'm pretty sure I know where at least one of those tapes is. If I find it, I'll send a copy out your way. It's definitely good listening. And some very cool rare insider's stuff. Like JL in the studio recording Watching The Wheels, and explaining to the others that it's like I am the Walrus with that "heavy" piano feel. At the same time, listening to the tapes can be quite sad as well. Especially the interviews done in 1980. John seemed so at peace at happy with his life. It's almost as if, (call me crazy if you want to), like subconsciously he knew his life wasn't going to last much longer. That's why whenever I criticize certain things about John, I never go too far. Because he seemed like such a different person before his death. So mature, so pleasant. Definitely a guy you'd like to have lunch with or something. And then it makes you angry, of course.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:40 am

Well said, Ramster. I felt the same way in late 1980. It's like we finally got him back and then we lost him, just when the future looks so promising, both personally and musically.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:38 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
Especially the interviews done in 1980. John seemed so at peace at happy with his life. It's almost as if, (call me crazy if you want to), like subconsciously he knew his life wasn't going to last much longer. That's why whenever I criticize certain things about John, I never go too far. Because he seemed like such a different person before his death. So mature, so pleasant. Definitely a guy you'd like to have lunch with or something. And then it makes you angry, of course.

I think the album "Double Fantasy" (maybe even my favourite of his) is best proof of what you are saying. For me, too, that was the saddest part of the story - just when it looked like he had found his inner balance and was going to do some (more) really great stuff, it was not to be.
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:00 am

The Lost Lennon Tapes - dozens of them, brimming with dialogue, outtakes (many of which of never-to-surface-again tunes) and such. The book "Eight Arms to Hold You - the Complete (at the time) Beatles Compendium"(2000) lists them all , explaining and analysing their content in detail.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:22 am

Steve-O wrote:

Well said, Ramster. I felt the same way in late 1980. It's like we finally got him back and then we lost him, just when the future looks so promising, both personally and musically
I felt the same :cry:
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Return to JOHN