It's that horrible day

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

It's that horrible day

Postby james1985 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:45 pm

So let's brighten it up

Keep sending those chocolate olivers
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re: It's that horrible day

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Normally I play a lot of John on this date. Will never ever forget that night. Was working down the block from the murder scene that night. Spent that night, and the following nights, at the Dakota, milling around, mourning with fellow Beatles and John fans. Days later, went to the "9 minutes of silence" gathering in Central Park (and there were tens and tens of thousands at that event-- none of whom uttered a peep during that 9 minute salute...the only sound you heard were the drones of the press helicopters above).
One somewhat humorous story from the night of Lennon's horrible assassination, if there could be any humour involved at all. Standing by the entrance, a small shrine had been erected near the guard's station, next to the gate that opened into the courtyard. There were albums, and photos, and paintings, and flowers, etc., all piled together. Out of the blue, a long stretch limo pulled up, and stopped directly in front of the shrine. A guy in a three piece suit wobbled out of the back, staggered to the edge of the shrine, and tossed what looked like a full plastic baggie of at least an ounce or two of pot into the pile of offerings. He staggered back into the limo, and it then sped off into the night.

I made sure to play "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" just a little while ago.
Last edited by Mattal1958 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby flextint » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 pm

This day always makes me think of what might have been had he still been around.Not many posters and this thread.I hope people aren't forgetting.I am sure PAUL Macca won't forget.
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:32 pm

it's still an incredibly depressing date in history...one that brings back awful, awful memories. The only good thing that came of it all was realizing how loved John, and by extension, the Beatles still were at that point-- ten years after a very acrimonious breakup, and several years after ANY hits by anyone in the band not named Paul McCartney. Time has only increased that love, I think, and certainly expanded the myth and legend. Great music, made by very talented, very charismatic young men...music that will last forever, and the men who made it not just faceless craftsmen, but dynamic artists in their own right.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby blmeanie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:07 pm

I love most things John, prefer and lean his way when forced to pick a favorite despite all the pluses Paul has on his side. History has been great to John, he was obviously very polarizing. Not sure he would have been held up as high today had he lived. Paul makes every effort to be popular, to be relevant. John was john.
blmeanie

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 am

I'll certainly never forget John, however I do try to avoid remembering this day, as it still hurts too much. I'll always love John's music; too bad there's so little of it compared to Paul. Recently here someone (Eddiev?) posted an unreleased (and never before heard by me) rehearsal version of John's "Working Class Hero", bluesified with the help of the Elephant's Memory band. It was almost like hearing a new Lennon song. It was very different and powerfully performed. Sadly, it's also a reminder of what we have all missed out on since that nonsensical night.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to JOHN