John's Speaking Voice

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

John's Speaking Voice

Postby I am the Paulrus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:45 pm

John's Speaking Voice

"Hello, this is John speaking with his voice!"

Having watched the dpcumentary "John Lennon: Love Is All You Need" on the Bio Channel, I couldn't help to notice in the various interview clips of him from the late 1960s and the early to mid 1970s, his voice fluctuates from his deep thick Liverpool accent to his voice sounding soemwhat high pitched like it was on helium. Just seeing his voice change from hi to low and so on in these intervoew clips, I thought I was hearing 2 different people. An interview of him from 1969 during the Bed-In in Montreal, his voice sounds fast pitched. There was another interview of him from 1972 where he also sounded high pitched in his voice. Is it possible the speed of the tape of the film made his voice sound faster than it really was? Or did John have a way of manipulating his speaking voice? Did he speak in certain tones? I know that early on at the height of Beatlemanina that he spoke with a false Scouse accent in 1964-65 and not his true voice.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: John's Speaking Voice

Postby ProgRocker » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:29 am

I know John was able to manipulate his voice. That's how he was so good at doing voices, and singing in different styles and such.

That being said, I also know that John hated his speaking (not to mention singing!) voice, so he might have just been unconfident.

"If music be the food of love; play on." - William Shakespeare
ProgRocker

Postby jgkojak » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:59 pm

You have three factors impacting John's speaking voice:
1) Intentional manipulation - to suit a particular situation - speaking seriously on political matter vs conducting an interview vs talking to someone he knows and doesn't know he's being tapes

2) Drugs and smoking. Smoking H and other hard drugs can REALLY damage your voice.

3) Unintentional manipulation - subconsciously changing his voice tone to communicate with people.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mathew » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:32 pm

I am agreee with Noddy Holder, because he one time said John Lennon have the best voice on the world.
Mathew

Postby amazedbypaul » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:08 pm

What a great topic. Yeah it is something I have not have ever heard anyone mention before. But your right, John's voice did seem to fluctuate from time to time through out the years. This could lead to some great debating of why that would be. He was quite the performer and actor on top of being a musician. It makes you wonder what was going on with him that he could munipulate his voice and why. He may have not even realized he was doing it. Paul and Ringo could probably tell you the real deal. Let me know what they say LOL. He certainly had a fabulous voice range, as well as a unique sound which cannot be duplicated when it comes to singing. Man I sure miss him.
amazedbypaul
Supporter
Supporter

Postby warmerchord » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:52 am

I was thinking about this recently- I compared a clip from 1965 where John was talking on stage and introducing songs, and then one from 1968 where he's talking to George Martin, and in the first one his voice seems a lot deeper and richer, whereas he has quite a high, nasal voice talking to George in '68. My conclusion was that he deepened it on stage in the early days to feel more confident or masculine and the high nasal voice is more natural- we all know how insecure John was!
warmerchord

Postby kerwin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 pm

he is the best, couse he has the best voice over the world.
Do you understand the feeling of missing someone? beats by dr dre
It is just like that you will spend a long hard time to turn the ice-cold water you have drunk into tears.
kerwin

Return to JOHN