God

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Re: God

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:02 am

I don't believe in Beatles JL :wink:
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:44 am

jules wrote:Read Richard Dawkins. No god/God/higher power. Fairies at the bottom of the garden/fairy stories.

it's a good read. but its not going to sway people who've made their minds up.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mervap » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:52 am

There are few subjects about which people are as adamant as to their own personal beliefs, and there is certainly nothing wrong with having a strong belief system...even if one's belief is to have no faith. I know a multitude of christians who would say I'm wrong about that, but if one does believe in God, shouldn't one believe that God will accomplish whatever God wants whether one participates actively in that pursuit or not? What bothers me most about conviction to any belief is that, once one has made up one's mind, it tends to shut off completely any consideration of other points of view.

There are a lot of people at work whose opinion of the Beatles boils down to this: Long hair, indian religion, peace & drugs. Now we all know that while these things are certainly a part of what the lads experienced and participated in during their career, they by no means represent the whole. These guys write the Beatles music off because other parts of the experience challenged their status quo...and a belief system they had become quite comfortable with. I'm not saying the Beatles were godless or anything of the sort, but the lads did challenge a great many societal norms in their day. Why else would most of the outcry about John's "more popular than Jesus" comment have come from the so-called 'bible belt'? When viewed from a christian point of view and without context, that comment can certainly sound threatening, but most folks just chalked it up to JL being JL.

I remember when "The DaVinci Code" came out...there were flyers distributed around this area calling for a boycott because the movie presents an alternate time-line and story concerning Jesus' life. The flyers actually suggested seeing another movie, "Over the Hedge", as a 'family values' vote...I admit, I saw them both, though not that weekend, and enjoyed "Over the Hedge" more, but for reasons entirely separate from the aforementioned. (honestly, "Over the Hedge" was more entertaining, but that is another story!) I was asked at church why I'd gone to see "DaVinci"...after all the dire warnings about it being heretical...I told them that I don't think God could ever be threatened by a movie, so why worry for Him? "DaVinci" was, as Tom Hanks put it, a fictional book that used historic names and places.

In the end, these 'threats' are just words, music and pictures...one has to make up one's own mind. No one else can, or should, do it for one.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?
mervap
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:14 pm

not to mention, mervap...that the da vinci code movie was not a very good one. the book, on the other hand, was a fabulous read. i don't think it was out to change anyone's mind...but it did make me think.

and over the hedge was, really, more entertaining...wasn't it?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mervap » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:02 pm

Yes...although cartoon characters are not nearly so interesting to look at as Audrey Tautou... :D
mervap
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Audrey Tautou

Which in my mind at least, proves there is a God. 8)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mervap » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:36 pm

So....there you are......question answered! :lol: 8)
mervap
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:43 pm

God is a concept
by which we measure
Our pain.

--John Lennon
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:20 pm

say it again...
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:53 pm

It's better to help people than garden gnomes.

-Audrey Tautou
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC