Champions League

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:22 pm

Liam, that IS absurd. You are just taking into account the lack of padding. Ok--we wear pads...but the force of our collisions are unreal, especially the ones at high speed. I don't see alot of speed being used during a scrum. I'm sure it hurts, but try getting hit by someone or two or three traveling at full speed high AND low.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby scrodfish256 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:31 pm

quote:Try rugby then. Sorry and all, but you guys are wimps in comparison.

I don't watch rugby but our football players over here get some pretty herrific injuries. Many have been paralyzed and many have died.
We had a teenager here in michigan recently who took such a hard hit that it killed him. I stand on the sideline twice a week to work with our local teams and I could send you footage of some hits that would make you cringe. Furthermore don't knock until you've played it. thank you for your time.[:)]
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:29 pm

No fake, Scrod. I'll never forget freshman year, junior varsity team. We were doing hitting drills. I went up against Corey Ware, probably the best player on the team. Needless to say, to this day, I don't think I have EVER gotten hit harder. As we used to say, he "layed me out." I was flat on my back, looking up at the clouds. A freight train could have hit me, and I wouldn't have known the difference. A helmet and pads may protect you, but it doesn't soften the blow THAT much.
Ram1

Postby scrodfish256 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:06 pm

It's amazing no matter how many pads you have on, you can still get your bell rung.[xx(] I was running the sticks on time and my best friend went stumbling off the field holding his arm. His wrist was completely crushed between two helmets. out for the season. running backs do take the bad hits.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:38 pm

Tell me about it, Scrod. I'll never forget our running back who got his wrist broken at practice. We had only played about one game so far that season. He was out for the rest. Man, I'll never forget looking at that dude's wrist. It was like something out of the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow or something. Horrific.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:22 am

The padding probably ocntributes to the force of the blows, because it looks like very aggressive clothing to me. That's all I can say.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:29 am

Then why would you wanna play American Football (or Rugby for that matter)? I never watch those sports, I understand about half of it, but from what I see, the tactical element is totally clouded by the brute force. No real subtlety, and always the danger of getting hit like by a freighttrain.

In real football [;)] technique is far more important than brute force. A disadvantage is that there's not much scoring. 1-0, 2-1, those are your average scores. Can be boring, but I've seen 0-0's that were true thrillers (Thomas, do you remember PSV-Werder Bremen a couple of years back? (PSV's my team[8D]) Stanley Menzo had to go into the goal, and for PSV 0-0 was enough. Werder had to win. But with Menzo you can never be sure [:o)]. It was freezing cold, and Menzo saved the ball when it was behind the line, but the ref didn't see it... Anyway, it was the most exciting game I've ever seen, even though there was no scoring.)
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Thomas » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:40 am

I dor remember that game. Menzo was exellent. It was in a time that PSV won ocasionaly in Europe. It seems those days are over but after last sunday it seems that Ajax and PSV wwill both go for the championship it will be tight.

Let those american friends go on about their football. We know what real football is about [;)]
Thomas

Postby Ram1 » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:45 am

quote:Let those american friends go on about their football. We know what real football is about [;)]

SIGH. I know I've mentioned this about 20 times already, but I have personally played BOTH sports competitively. You can't really say that one sport takes greater skill than another. How many times in "soccer" do you have to memorize a playbook of different plays and strategy? My point is, American football is much more than just hitting people. There is A LOT of thought and skill involved. Not to mention that the rush is about 50 times greater than soccer. But I suppose I'm just wasting my breath here.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:56 pm

The adjustments and chess match mentality of football is what I loved the most playing and watching. Just awesome.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC