British rock stars

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

British rock stars

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:20 am

There are many British rock stars who would not make the All-Madden squad. Now, why is that? Why are so many British rock stars in the terms of your country "Nancy-boys"??? It bothered me a lot when i thought Pete Townsend was a member of the "All-Madden team" and i thought he was a regular bloke like Macca or Richards or Gilmour. When i found out that Townsend was a nancy-boy, it didn't directly impact my feeling towards his music. But, it bothered me in the sense that i felt betrayed and the meaning of some of his songs took on a more overtly homosexual overtone that made me uncomfortable. In other words, i don't think i can hear a Macca song and get a double ambigious feeling about a guy. For example, see me, feel me, touch me takes an another meaning when i see Pete Townsend admit to having a homosexual affair with Linda McCartney friend Danny Fields or the song Behind Blue eyes takes on another meaning entirely when it's Pete singing to another man. I feel betrayed because the Who has always been about being a macho, very manly sort of group and to get a George Michael, Culture club, or Pet Shop boys kind of vibe now from their songs makes me feel like i was cheated and betrayed.

I mean when i see Bowie or Boy George in a dress i sort of know what the song's about. Or i see the Nancy Boy group "Pet Shop Boys" singing about men or seeing Freddie Mercury sing a song about "Death on two legs" i get the general impression about what's happening. But, it would be like in this country if Bruce Sprinsteen all of a sudden came out of the closet and said "Hungry Heart" and "Glory Days" were about my secret pining for a Lawrence Taylor and Tom Seaver. I think this country would be in a mourning and shock not seen since they shot JFK. Because all of Springsteen's mystique and symbolism and metaphors abotu family and the good old US of A would be a lie. That's what i feel about the Who. It's all a lie.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:05 am

I understand what you're saying Chris, albeit a little nuts. But I think The Who is still a very "manly" group. How can you not listen to any classic Who song (ex. Won't Get Fooled Again) and not get your adrenaline pumping to the max. When I heard Townshend say in an interview that when he saw Mick Jagger dancing it was the fist time he thought about "f*cking a man", that didn't make me lose anything in the music. I generally don't even think about Pete Townshend having bisexual or whatever feelings. All I know is The Who ROCKS and rocks HARD!!
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:12 am

To me, it's like finding out that John Madden is gay and all those football stories and descriptions take out double meaning. LOL
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:57 am

Ok, you got me, Chris. LOL. As much as I hate to be a TOTAL hippocrite, I have to admit...finding out a star linebacker or an all-star shortstop is gay, WOULD change my outlook on the player. I HATE to say that, but I'm being honest. I guess that's why so many pro ball players are so afraid to come out. They'd be ostracized (sp?) by the fans AND their own teammates.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:11 pm

Press hype is dead wrong on Sports. Many people have said that sports is equally to society as part of population and trends. Wrong. wrong. wrong. First, look at stats, 15% of America is black. Yet, the stats on sports are overwhelmingly not 15% black - blacks have majority in pro sports ranks. I think 65% of NBA, 60% of NFL, etc. Why? BeEcause naturally African-Americans are superior in athtletics like African-Americans are superior in music, film, all other avenues when given equal opportunity - now, that's a natual fact - just like at comedy for example. Case closed. Popular culture. case closed. Equal opportunity is given - we see the dominance. and don't even talk about music. as much as the Beatles are all that - we know the greatest music of all is derivative from black culture. period even macca would agree.

The same dumb logic of Sports being a mirror image of the population is a fallacy. True, it is said that 5-7% of population may be bi-sexual or gay. Yeah, but, it isn't true across professional avenues. Fashion industry is probably 90% gay males, hair-dressers are probably 95% gay males. Ok, i'm exagerrating and drawing huge generalizations here. But, my point is the same way that blacks and whites are not equal to the population in its make-up of the NFL and other sports. I agree the same point on the NFL side. I find it hard to believe that the league that gave us men like Lombardi, Halas, Butkus, MEan Joe Greene, is gonna give us a 10% portion of gay males, etc. It's a myth that left wing liberals would love to slam down our throats in an attempt to promote some kind of agenda- but, it itsn't true.

I'm totally on board with whatever lifestyle people want to live in. And i'm cool that people like Freddie Mercury, Eleanor Roosevelt, Elton John, Carl Lewis, and Tom Cruise have done a lot to promote alternative lifestyles and that people can do whatever they want to make themselves happy. Just to go and try to force your lifestyle or way of life in my face - it's cool to be true to yourself but don't go and say that 10% of all NFL and MLB players are gay cause there's no way it's true. It's a tiny portion and if there is some big celeb in the NFL there's no evidence of it. at all. Probably because it ain't there.

British rock stars on the other hand. Well, what can we? I would say that there are too many to list. Personally, i am glad MAcca didn't pull a Jagger, Elton John, Rod Stewart, David Bowie and experiment in alternative lifestyle. As much as i dig those cats, i lost respect for their 70's alternative lifestyle and i think it promoted an agenda that led to excess, lack of morality, even untimely death. Say, man, if you can't be true to your woman like Mick and Bowie weren't, u ain't true to yourself.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:52 pm

quote:BeEcause naturally African-Americans are superior in athtletics like African-Americans are superior in music, film, all other avenues when given equal opportunity - now, that's a natual fact - just like at comedy for example. Case closed.

Chris, that is pure hogwash. People aren't better than others in any one particular avenue soley based on their race. Doesn't matter if they're black, white, brown, yellow, red, pink, or purple. That's ridiculous.

quote:It's a tiny portion and if there is some big celeb in the NFL there's no evidence of it. at all. Probably because it ain't there.

Dude, I highly disagree. In fact, I'm almost positive you're wrong. You don't think there are gay NFL or MLB players? Come on, man! Dude, players have said themselves (especially during the whole recent Mike Piazza "contraversy") that there are plenty (when I say plenty I'm not saying 80%, but a good number) of players that are gay. But they just don't come out, obviously, because of the backlash. Just because a dude is 6'5 290 pounds, and is an all-pro linebacker, doesn't mean that he is automatically straight.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:00 pm

I mean what i said. When given an equal opportunity, sports, film, music, golf, tennis, African-Americans are superior. I can't discuss other things because that's subjective. So, i'll back off my comments about other stuff because it's subjective and i'll limit what i said to a few things. But in terms of music, film, comedy, golf, tennis, sports, i truly believe the greatest artists and the greatest atheletes are African-American. It's just a fact. Sure, there are great white atheletes and great hispanic athletes. But, the superior ones when given opportunity are African-American. Case in point. Comedy. Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence. Tennis : Williams Sisters. Golf Tiger Woods.

As for the other subject, there doesn't seem to be to me a predominant gay presence in Football and baseball. The liberal media would have you believe that but i don't believe it's true. The professional sports stars and the ones on a team (baseball, football) are extrememelyu low. If it weren't, how come nobody has come out after they retired? Naw, no way. It ain't there, man.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:04 pm

There HAVE been players to come out after they retired. Most noticably an MLB player. I just saw him on CNN talking about it a couple months ago. Man, I forget his name or who he played for. Steve might know.

quote:When given an equal opportunity, sports, film, music, golf, tennis, African-Americans are superior.

I still think what you're saying is absurd.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:11 pm

Of course, it's all subjective and it's just an opinion. But, me, i'm biased i always dig the greatest cats when it comes to musicanship and vocals - only problem is when i tally up my lists of my favorite musicians and vocals and stuff - they are always African-American.

Put it like this - Remember the version of Tutti-Frutti - Pat Boone or Little Richard? Which one you gonna be slammin' to??

I'll tell you, bro, you gotta give me comedy. I mean comedy - the Afican-American brothers have that market cornered. Do you really think Conan O'Brien or Jay Leno are funny? I mean the white community as a whole should apologize to the world for that Emmy performance of Conan "White-bread" O'Brien? Has Conan O'Brien ever been funny in his life? Who is this guy? Is he somebody's nephew? He is the lamest comedian i have ever seen next to the guy from Russia (What a country)! Conan O'Brien? Funny? How long would he last on stage next to Pryor, Lawrence, Murphy, or the Kings of COmedy? Ray Freakin' Ramano? You lose on comedy, man. I mean mega props to Jimmy Fallon occasionally but the lamest is Conan O'Brien ? I mean why does he have a tv show?
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:20 pm

Gotta disagree. I don't watch him on a regular basis, but Conan's skits are hilarious. But some of your statements are just pretty stereotypical, man. You might as well be saying "Blacks are stronger. Whites are friendlier. Asians are smarter. Black people listen to rap music. All Chinese people like rice. It's a fact." That's absurd, man.
Ram1

Next

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC