Current acts that you DO like

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Current acts that you DO like

Postby Brains » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:47 am

OK, we've been bashing Creed, Korn, Dave Matthews etc. But are there any new artists/bands that you do like?

For me, there are. Travis, probably only known in England, is one of my favourites. Why Does It Always Rain On Me is great.
Drops Of Jupiter by Train, terribly overplayed, but an awesome song. I got the CD, but it kinda sucked. Not much more than DOJ.
Avril Lavigne, at first sight just another Alanis clone, but actually pretty good. Complicated is a very good song, and there are some other really good ones on the album. Good voice, too.
I just heard "She Hates Me" by Puddle Of Mudd. Good one. I haven't heard any other songs by them, but judging by their name, it's a new Korn or Slipknot or whatever.

Any others?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:03 am

Hmm . . . well . . . I quite like Robbie Williams. I'm not a huge fan, but he has done some really amazing songs, especially "Eternity" last year - one of my current top seven by anybody! Angels is pretty good too, along with Supreme and Better Man . . .
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:50 am

Travis is excellent, Brains. The Invisible Band album is GREAT. Listen to the song 'Flowers in the Window'. Sounds like a total McCartney song. Beck is awesome. Pearl Jam is awesome. Foo Fighters are awesome. Chili Peppers are awesome.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:41 am

Xtc may be old but it's the closest thing next to Jellyfish of capturing the melodic wonder of McCartney plus the acerbic, cutting edge lethalness of Mr. John Lennon and the pop sensibility of the finest Beatles musical craftsmanship.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:48 am

Also, Prince back in the day along with Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Miles Davis, Sly Stone were freakin' geniuses. Not to get off on a tangent, but, i feel Prince, Miles, Sly, Stevie, and Al hold the same magic for me that the Beatles did. I can still remember getting psyched and that feeling of excitement and wonder of holding a new Prince cassette (dating myself) and rushing home to play it (1999, Purple Rain, Around the world, Parade, Sign, Lovesexy) and feeling the same excitement that a 1st generation BEatles fan must have felt when the White Album, Pepper, Revolver, Abbey Road hit the stores.

There is no artist today who makes me feel like i'm about to score at the prom with a hottie anymore. And sadly, as much as i still like PRince and MAcca and Stevie, i know their releases will be good (but, not mind-blowing like they were back in the prime).

I can still remember being 14 when Purple Rain came out and absolutely being blown away by its sheer greatness. I can imagine being the same age when Pepper dropped and smoking a doobee and being transported to another dimension and space.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:55 am

quote:And sadly, as much as i still like PRince and MAcca and Stevie, i know their releases will be good (but, not mind-blowing like they were back in the prime).

I see what you're saying. I mean, I doubt Macca is gonna write another Pepper. However, at least for me personally, Driving Rain blew me away pretty hard. And it still does.

I understand what you mean concerning new releases. I haven't felt that way in years. I come from the early 90s generation. Man, whenever a new Nirvana or Pearl Jam album was released, that was MAJOR. I miss those days, man. Especially the fall of '93. The anticipation was INTENSE waiting for Nirvana's follow up to Nevermind (In Utero) and PJ's follow-up to Ten (VS.) Everyone wanted to see if they could live up to expectations. And they did. Just thinking back on that time gives me goosebumps. I can only imagine what it must have been like in the 60s awaiting a new Beatles release. I think I probably would have had cardiac arrest from the excitement.
Ram1

Postby megs » Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:31 pm

hmmmmmm lets see

red hot chilie peppers r pretty good, weezer is o.k., and i like 1 or 2 songs from blink 182[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:41 pm

Blink 182: Puker alert. [xx(]

Blink reminds me of a wanna-be punk band with a mix of Britney Spears/MTV/TRL garbage. If you want REAL punk Megs, you ain't gonna find it on MTV. The only "famous" REAL punk bands in the past 10 years I think have been Nirvana, Rancid, and EARLY Green Day. May be a couple more.

If you want some REAL modern day punk, visit this website.....http://www.kpunk.com Tell em' Uncle Ram sent ya.
Ram1

Postby megs » Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:00 pm

nirvana is o.k. so is green day[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:11 pm

OK? That's almost blasphemy, my dear girl! LOL. Nirvana is the most important force to enter rock music in the past ten years. Hands down. The Nevermind album is just as essential to me as some of the classic rock albums of the 60s and 70s. Which reminds me, I planned on doing a thread about that. I think I'll do that this evening.....
Ram1

Next

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC