Electric Light Orchestra

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Electric Light Orchestra

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:46 am

OK, any fans of ELO on this forum? I know I've taken a bit of flak for this, but I do strongly feel that ELO took up where The Beatles left off, IN TERMS OF MUSICAL ADVANCEMENTS. Obviously they aren't quite as good/popular, but then who is! Jeff Lynne is still one of the greats in terms of songwriting . . . "Wild West Hero" . . . quality song . . .
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Electric Light Orchestra

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:46 am

OK, any fans of ELO on this forum? I know I've taken a bit of flak for this, but I do strongly feel that ELO took up where The Beatles left off, IN TERMS OF MUSICAL ADVANCEMENTS. Obviously they aren't quite as good/popular, but then who is! Jeff Lynne is still one of the greats in terms of songwriting . . . "Wild West Hero" . . . quality song . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Rundevilrun » Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:33 pm

Zoom is what turned me onto ELO as of late...I had to backtrack quite a bit though to go thru the full catalouge. I beg to differ with people who say he did a bad job of producing "Pie" for Macca. I love his sound and ELO was a great band from the 70's and 80's. Jeff Lynn is a genius! Mr. Blue Sky? Fire on High?
Rundevilrun

Postby megs » Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:53 pm

i've heard "fire on high" its alright[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:11 am

Get their "Out Of The Blue" album if you don't already have it, and I'd also recommend "Face The Music". Some quality stuff on there.
Liam OSM

Postby Rundevilrun » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:27 am

Wasn't "Showdown" one of John's fav songs of the era? Can't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure it's true.
Rundevilrun

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:39 am

Sounds right - I remember reading something saying that as well!
Liam OSM

Postby Brains » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:20 am

I did hear Jeff Lynne being extremely proud of the fact that John once said that he kinda liked those ELO ditties.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:34 am

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
I do strongly feel that ELO took up where The Beatles left off, IN TERMS OF MUSICAL ADVANCEMENTS. Oh good Lord. No way--not even in the same galaxy. Sorry, Liam. Jeff was and is a beatle wanna-be. He's a good producer, but he lays it on too thick at times with his "sound". I like some of his/their stuff, but to say they advanced things musically is like saying John Ritter has done great things for the "craft" acting. BullPookey
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:21 pm

I don't mean they sounded like the Beatles - well, they did in some ways, Jeff Lynne's voice is very similar to George's. What I mean is, ELO made the same sort of strides in musical advancement in the 70s that The Beatles did in the 60s.
Liam OSM

Next

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC