ABBA

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Postby megs » Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:03 pm

i might think of buying one eventually but knowing me i probably wont[:I]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:54 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Megs---save your money....SOS!!! Hagatha Warthog. 'nuff said. Cheesy is a compliment here.[;)]

[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby megs » Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:28 pm

fight,fight,fight,fight[:D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:40 am

Put 'em up, snooker-boy! [;)]

Mental note - skewer Steve with snooker cue next time you have it on you . . . [;)]
Liam OSM

Postby Brains » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:24 am

I guess cheesy is the word when you first listen to ABBA. But when you listen to it more, it's actually very very cleverly done. They have a very distinct sound, and some pretty good songs too. Don't immediately dismiss them for their slick production and bad haircuts.

And Agnetha is hot!
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:24 pm

I'll accept your opinion as representative of the American people, Steve, as ABBA ignored America after about 1976. It would be like an American fan of Styx asking the Brits what they thought - most of them would just say - "who?"
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:07 pm

Well, maybe my wording was inaccurate. They focused more on Europe, had the occasional top 10 hit in the US - but they most decidedly were not crap. Just how much of their stuff have you heard, incidentally?
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:11 pm

Liam--I'm entitled to my opinion. I've heard enough of them, trust me. They were HUGE at one time here. Move on. Get over it---I'm in the minority, probably, with the public at large, but with ROCK fans---well...'nuff said.

Fair enough, you don't like them, I do . . .BUT . . . I like rock music but also like ABBA - and I know I'm not the only one. It's not impossible . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:19 pm

I'd say you were on the FRINGE of rock---face it---if it aint got keyboards, you don't love it. [:D]

I like plenty of songs that don't have a keyboard or piano - it just happens that piano songs happen to be my fave type overall.

Similarly, I make a divide between "keyboard" and "synthesiser", for whatever reason. Keyboard, I like, synthesiser, I don't like so much. There are of course exceptions.

In any case, let's take two examples; Sting and Bryan Adams - they use keyboards, but not generally very prominently. Every Breath You Take has a piano solo but that's about it - otherwise a guitar song. Similarly, most of Bryan Adams' best stuff has very little keyboard presence.

Hell, there's plenty of keyboard-free Beatles songs that I love - Day Tripper/WCWIO, Eleanor Rigby, etc . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:23 pm

It seems that any affection I claim for an act that isn't heavy-rock-guitar-oriented gets automatic disagreement from across the pond. I can't help but feel a bit of a chip on my shoulder . . .
Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC