Sting

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:03 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
I had the last laugh, because the teached was standing behind him, and chewed him off something
TYPO ALERT!!!...and who was the teacher, Ozzy? Or Hanibal Lector?

Good heavens, you are right, SIR!

I meant to say the teacher was standing behind him . . . and it was nobody famous, so don't worry. But boy, it was agony, for a few minutes . . . but at least it was only physical pain. The kind that does go away . . .
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:00 pm

Or could it have been Hannibal Lecter[:p]?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Brains » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:01 pm

quote:Originally posted by Brains

That should be Lector...[:o)]
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:05 am

That should be Lector...[:o)]

Brains, you're doing me out of a job! I'm the one who picks Steve up on his typos - as he does to me! We have this agreement, like . . . [;)]
Liam OSM

Postby Brains » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:25 am

Sorry Liam... [;)]

Anyway,

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
Which solo album(s) have you got of Sting's? Here's a summary of the six solo studio albums he's done:

The Dream Of The Blue Turtles (1985) - good, but it's not the ideal first buy. It's a return to his jazz roots in many of the songs, and has some interesting moments.

Nothing Like The Sun (1987) - I love Sting, but I have to draw the line at this. I don't like this album at all. All the decent tracks can be found on his "Fields Of Gold" compilation, 1994, and this just sounds like some 80s pop . . . get this only if you really love Sting or are a completist.

The Soul Cages (1991) - heavily introspective music, the sort that would appeal to a Flaming Pie fan - I got TSC and FP about the same sort of time, actually, I forget which I got first, probably TSC. It's very deep stuff, written when his father died. If you like music with atmosphere, this is for you. This is one of my all time favourite albums by anybody.

Ten Summoner's Tales (1993) - if there's ever a "typical Sting album", this is it. A very good, well-balanced album with some excellent songs on it. Not as good as The Soul Cages, but it's up there as one of his better solo albums.

Mercury Falling (1996) - overall, about the same quality as the previous album. One or two songs I'm not so keen on, but the songwriting is as sharp as ever. Again, one of his more mainstream albums.

Brand New Day (1999) - much more modern sounding, it took a couple of listens to really "get it". But there's some great songs on here. I can't think of one song on it I don't like - after The Soul Cages, this is my fave Sting album. It's like a more modernised version of a typical Sting album - as in, a lot of the stuff doesn't sound typical of him at first glance, but if you account for the more modern sound, it is very Sting.

Didn't know all these. I only have Brand New Day, I bought it right after I went to see him live in Rotterdam 2 years ago. The only song I really liked was After The Rain Has Fallen (a lot like If I Ever Lose My Faith In You) and the title song is OK, I guess. The rest is too complicated and long for my taste. I didn't like the african influences and stuff.
Ten Summoner's Tales sounds like worth hearing. IIELMFIY is on that one, so it's got to be good.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:16 am

Ten Summoner's Tales is a good album - anything from his 90s stuff is worth getting. I personally recommend The Soul Cages, especially if you're into deep, introspective music (like I am). Summoner's Tales and Mercury Falling, as I said, are probably the best "typical Sting albums". Brand New Day took a little bit of getting into, I'll admit - but there's some amazing songs on there, several of which have parallels on The Soul Cages. Desert Rose is one of mhy all-time faves, it's akin to Mad About You from TSC; and Ghost Story, one of the more typical, less modern-sounding Sting ballads, is reminiscent of both "Why Should I Cry For You" and "When The Angels Fall" from said album. All five of those songs, I rate among Sting's finest, and they easily hold their own with The Police's high points.
Liam OSM

Previous

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC