Sting

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Sting

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:12 pm

OK, any Sting/Police fans out there? I'm gradually creating threads on all my favourite acts, now it's Sting's turn . . . The Soul Cages, what an album . . .
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:15 pm

Generally, I like Sting. Great songwriter. However, I can never get going with his voice. Sounds like he's straining all the time. Like someone has grabbed hold of his gnads.
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:17 pm

quote:Originally posted by RedRoseSpeedway
Generally, I like Sting. Great songwriter. However, I can never get going with his voice. Sounds like he's straining all the time. Like someone has grabbed hold of his gnads.

Well, that's . . . erm, an . . . erm, interesting description . . . my mother isn't a fan of his voice either. I think it's got a certain kind of catch to it that you either like or you don't. I do. Certainly, his songwriting is up there with the best of 'em. [8D]
Liam OSM

Postby Brains » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:42 pm

I love his voice! I've never heard somebody sing that high. It does sound a bit strained, yes, but it doesn't bother me at all.

I love the Police, but Sting solo never did as much for me. The Police rock, Sting doesn't. Some good songs, but almost always overproduced and too longish. I don't think I've heard a simple 3 minute song by Sting since 1983.

I don't have much by Sting solo, so this is based on the few examples I've heard. Please say so if I'm wrong.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:52 pm

Which solo album(s) have you got of Sting's? Here's a summary of the six solo studio albums he's done:

The Dream Of The Blue Turtles (1985) - good, but it's not the ideal first buy. It's a return to his jazz roots in many of the songs, and has some interesting moments.

Nothing Like The Sun (1987) - I love Sting, but I have to draw the line at this. I don't like this album at all. All the decent tracks can be found on his "Fields Of Gold" compilation, 1994, and this just sounds like some 80s pop . . . get this only if you really love Sting or are a completist.

The Soul Cages (1991) - heavily introspective music, the sort that would appeal to a Flaming Pie fan - I got TSC and FP about the same sort of time, actually, I forget which I got first, probably TSC. It's very deep stuff, written when his father died. If you like music with atmosphere, this is for you. This is one of my all time favourite albums by anybody.

Ten Summoner's Tales (1993) - if there's ever a "typical Sting album", this is it. A very good, well-balanced album with some excellent songs on it. Not as good as The Soul Cages, but it's up there as one of his better solo albums.

Mercury Falling (1996) - overall, about the same quality as the previous album. One or two songs I'm not so keen on, but the songwriting is as sharp as ever. Again, one of his more mainstream albums.

Brand New Day (1999) - much more modern sounding, it took a couple of listens to really "get it". But there's some great songs on here. I can't think of one song on it I don't like - after The Soul Cages, this is my fave Sting album. It's like a more modernised version of a typical Sting album - as in, a lot of the stuff doesn't sound typical of him at first glance, but if you account for the more modern sound, it is very Sting.
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:56 pm

Like someone has grabbed hold of his gnads.
OUCH!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:58 pm

I wont repeat my boring story about meeting him backstage in 1985 in Cinti Ohio, the same night that Gamblin' Pete got hit number 4192. Gordie stopped the show and announced it....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:58 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Like someone has grabbed hold of his gnads.
OUCH!!!

You can say that again! Somebody literally kicked me in the gonads about six or seven years ago, and boy, did it hurt! Of course, in the end, I had the last laugh, because the teacher was standing behind him, and chewed him off something . . . well, I found it rather entertaining, watching him, suddenly a little gutted . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:59 pm

But hey--I had to go-- the tickets were free, and I was the designated driver. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:00 pm

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
I had the last laugh, because the teached was standing behind him, and chewed him off something
TYPO ALERT!!!...and who was the teacher, Ozzy? Or Hanibal Lector?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC