Progressive Rock

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:41 pm

I love the classic rock of DRIVING RAIN!!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:19 pm

Man, you guys HAVE TO go to Beck's website http://www.beck.com They are providing a FREE, FULL-LENGTH listen to his new album. UNFREAKIN'BELIEVABLE. We have a masterpiece on our hands here, people. Even the crappy Rolling Stone magazine gave this album FIVE freakin' stars! (Which, by the way, means "CLASSIC" by their standards.) I'm only in the middle of listening to it, and I'm already blown away. REALLY mellow. He's getting back to his folksy roots. VERY FEW albums knock me off my feet on first listen. And this is one of them. I GUARANTEE you, this album is gonna be the TALK of the next year. Unbelievable. You gotta check it out.

PS--Me and my girlfriend met him a few years back. I'll scan the photo sometime.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:36 am

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
By the way Liam, did you already listen to Wakeman's "Tribute To The Beatles" CD, released in 1998??
I think Wakeman's performance is OK, but a bit "cold" on his Beatles' covers...

Peace.

Erm, no. I've been on the lookout for it constantly, but have never seen it [:(]

But when we saw him live, he did do his versions of Help and Eleanor Rigby. Personally, I think he could have swapped the styles round in which he did them. A more delicate approach would have been better for ER, and Help could have been a little quicker . . . that's just my opinion, though.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:39 am

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
Depends on what is labelled a Prog Rock. I've heard both Queen and Styx labelled as such, and enjo them. Rick Wakeman, I also quite like (my mother and I saw him live a couple of year ago). In general, I tend to go for the acts who have established their greatness of many years' standing.

Well Liam, I think Queen and Styx can be included in another cathegory of style, but not much as Progressive. The Queen never used synthsizers in their early works, and Styx was more a "theatrical"style as we can see on "Kilroy" as kinda "rock-opera".
Progressive Rock groups used to be symphonic concertists wannabe, they used to mix classical works and hard rock lines with much synthsizers and symphonic orchestras are usually present on recordings.

Maybe, but both Queen and Styx could be said to have pushed new barriers on things.

Sadly, I don't have the Kilroy album; I have a couple of compilations, one of stuff from their first four albums, and one of their best from Pieces Of Eight through to Edge Of The Century. The only studio albums of theirs I have are PO8 and The Grand Illusion.

So by your definition, Nito, the prog rock in my collection would be ELO.
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:14 pm

Liam--you are getting progressively confusing, SIR![:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:04 pm

LOL
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:10 pm

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM

So by your definition, Nito, the prog rock in my collection would be ELO.

Hmmm...not too much Liam. ELO came up later than Progressive wave's highlights, and I think ELO's rythmic style is more faster than progressive's, I don't know if you understand.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby ladymadonna » Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:50 pm

well, i dont really like progressive rock. but thats just my opinion.
ladymadonna

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:51 am

Of course. Now there is how you state your opinions - saying it politely and adding that it's just your opinion. Unlike a certain Kameamea . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:44 am

KK is back as the Fishman again. Same idiot, different day.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC