Your Top 10 NON-Beatles Related Albums of All Time

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:35 am

I'll try to put these in some kind of order, although a couple rankings may change.....

1--Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon--Masterpiece. Phenomenal. Second ONLY to Sgt. Pepper. No matter how good you may think your record collection is, NO MUSIC COLLECTION IS COMPLETE WITHOUT THIS ALBUM!! If you want a real trip without any drugs, put this album on at the same time as the Wizard of Oz, (with the film's sound down.) It will amaze you.

2--The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds--What can I say? Brian Wilson is a genius. Beautiful melodies, beautiful vocals.

3--The Doors: The Doors--Poetry meets psychedelia. The entire album is great. But just Light My Fire and The End are worth the purchase of this fine and classic album.

4--The Doors: Strange Days--Great follow-up to their debut. EXCELLENT album.

5--Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland--In my opinion, his finest album. A perfect mixture of psychedelia, blues, and rock. And I don't think I have to mention his guitar playing.

6--Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy--My favorite Zep album. Rocks HARD, but does so very melodically.

7--Nirvana: Nevermind--No matter what some people may try to tell you about Kurt Cobain, the man was a genius. Natural melody maker. This album says it all. Another album that I feel you must have to complete your collection.

8--Jeff Buckley: Grace--I've turned so many people onto Jeff Buckley, that his record company should be sending me royalty checks. This guy was simply AMAZING. The best voice of the past ten years, without a doubt. You MUST buy this album. Unfortunately, he passed away right on the brink of his stardom. He would have been HUGE.

9--Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magic--Some of the lyrics make me cringe. I think it would have been even better with cleaner lyrics, BUT the music is phenomenal.

10--(Tie) Radiohead: OK Computer/Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness--I just HAD to include both of these fine albums. Both are masterpieces of the 90's.

*Honorable Mention--Ted Kennedy: Bridge Over Troubled Water.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:35 am

I'll try to put these in some kind of order, although a couple rankings may change.....

1--Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon--Masterpiece. Phenomenal. Second ONLY to Sgt. Pepper. No matter how good you may think your record collection is, NO MUSIC COLLECTION IS COMPLETE WITHOUT THIS ALBUM!! If you want a real trip without any drugs, put this album on at the same time as the Wizard of Oz, (with the film's sound down.) It will amaze you.

2--The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds--What can I say? Brian Wilson is a genius. Beautiful melodies, beautiful vocals.

3--The Doors: The Doors--Poetry meets psychedelia. The entire album is great. But just Light My Fire and The End are worth the purchase of this fine and classic album.

4--The Doors: Strange Days--Great follow-up to their debut. EXCELLENT album.

5--Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland--In my opinion, his finest album. A perfect mixture of psychedelia, blues, and rock. And I don't think I have to mention his guitar playing.

6--Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy--My favorite Zep album. Rocks HARD, but does so very melodically.

7--Nirvana: Nevermind--No matter what some people may try to tell you about Kurt Cobain, the man was a genius. Natural melody maker. This album says it all. Another album that I feel you must have to complete your collection.

8--Jeff Buckley: Grace--I've turned so many people onto Jeff Buckley, that his record company should be sending me royalty checks. This guy was simply AMAZING. The best voice of the past ten years, without a doubt. You MUST buy this album. Unfortunately, he passed away right on the brink of his stardom. He would have been HUGE.

9--Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magic--Some of the lyrics make me cringe. I think it would have been even better with cleaner lyrics, BUT the music is phenomenal.

10--(Tie) Radiohead: OK Computer/Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness--I just HAD to include both of these fine albums. Both are masterpieces of the 90's.

*Honorable Mention--Ted Kennedy: Bridge Over Troubled Water.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:46 am

Well, I don't have ANY of those albums you listed, Rammie!

My top ten non-Beatles/solo albums? Hmm . . .

In no particular order:

Sting - The Soul Cages. Well, maybe this is no1 . . . very atmospheric, magnificent, moving music, excellent lyrics.
Roger Taylor - Happiness. Similarly introspective music, my favourite kind.
Electric Light Orchestra - Out Of The Blue. Great stuff - Wild West Hero is a very Lennon-esque type escapist song . . .
ABBA - The Album, The Visitors.
Queen - Innuendo. Sheer class.
Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme. Lots of lovely songs on there, "The Dangling Conversation" is so effective . . .
Bryan Adams - Reckless, Into The Fire. Two amazing albums if ever I heard them! Get them!
Styx - The Grand Illusion. More quality stuff, still . . . esp "Come Sail Away".
Foreigner - Foreigner. Lots of variety, Lou Gramm is an excellent vocalist, Mick Jones an even better writer, this has everything.
Agnetha Faltskog - I Stand Alone. If you like good pop music, you'll love this album. It took a while to grow on me, but it's amazing. Perhaps a little hard to find, though.

OK, that's twelve albums, but it's ten different artists, and I had to mention the two each for Bryan Adams and ABBA. I can't split them . . .
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:51 am

Liam, my man, you're missing out on A LOT of classics, dude! As soon you get some money, you have to AT LEAST buy ONE of the albums I listed. Especially Dark Side of the Moon.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:59 am

Man this is hard--it changes all the time. But today, it would be: (no order or comments for now--no time!)

The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
Elton John: Tumbleweed Connection
CSN & Y: Deja Vu
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Eagles: Hotel California
Led Zep: IV
U2: Joshua Tree
Pearl Jam: Ten
Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:01 am

There's that Warthog girl again...LOL
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:03 am

CSN&Y: Deja Vu...Good pick, Steve!
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:06 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
CSN&Y: Deja Vu...Good pick, Steve!

Man--can we do 50? They change every hour for me--even the reasons I like them--sometimes the older ones get stale and I think they are "dated"...then I'll love them for a bit again.... LOL
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:09 am

Yeah, I know what you mean, Steve. And I end up forgetting some too. Like the Deja Vu album. Oh, Pink Floyd 'Relics' is a good album too. Oh, and Hendrix 'Axis: Bold As Love.' [:D]
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:10 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
Yeah, I know what you mean, Steve. And I end up forgetting some too. Like the Deja Vu album. Oh, Pink Floyd 'Relics' is a good album too. Oh, and Hendrix 'Axis: Bold As Love.' [:D]

Man I'm sure I forgot ALOT. I tried not to copy ALL of yours, but our tastes run close. I LOVE the Doors--one of theirs belongs on my top ten somewhere. Maybe if I'd pry DR out of my CD slot once in a while I'd remember!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC