are members musicians?

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Postby jet » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:17 pm

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
quote:
As for songwriting, I currently have 697 songs at the time of writing, all in various states of completion. The best ones though are among the last 100 I have written and they are the ones I pay most attention to. The rest before that are what I would call a songwriting apprenticeship, where I learned the craft of songwriting. While they may not be that good as songs go, it is possible that in some there may be snippets of lyric/ melody/ chords that could be used in other songs that I am working on. Almost like some kind of musical scrapyard.

Nearly 700 songs? I'm impressed!
How many of them are finished? Musical scrapyard? I know the feeling. I've got about 15-20 songs that are sort of finished, aside from my having mapped out the music on my keyboard. I write lyrics with a definite idea of how they're sung. Only two are at the stage where I can perform them live (full music properly mapped out). But the others, I have a good idea on.
The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Of the whole lot, I'd say a rough estimation of fully completed songs is around 200. The rest may have finished chords and music but no lyrics, lyrics but no chords or music or in some cases I have songs with a fully completed chorus, but as of yet, no verses. With these songs, I will only bother completing them if I think the overall chorus is any good, otherwise I will record a rough demo of them and then file them away into my 'musical scrapyard', roughly meaning there may be something there that can probably be used in another song, so nothing gets wasted. This is probably why I have come to have so many songs, apart from being a very rewarding passtime as I'm sure a certain Mr McCartney understands perfectly well. 200 completed songs out of nearly 700 maybe doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm pretty hard on myself when it comes to quality control.
jet

Postby Len » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:21 pm

Hey Jet. What do you use to record your music?

Isn't it perhaps a good idea for those of us who are actively making music to start sharing some stuff? I have about 150 tracks myself (all done on keyboard, using the PC to record, mix and add), and also have a few demos done with the bands I've been in over the past few years.
Len

Postby jet » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:43 pm

I don't have access to a PC (I get the internet through a web browser you can use via your TV - not as good as through a PC - you can't download music or video - but it's okay for most other things) so at the moment I just record basic demos onto cassette with acoustic guitar (not unlike the white album demos).
jet

Postby Ram1 » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:50 pm

Same here, Jet. I use my acoustic and an old tape recorder. I only went into the studio one time. I did record one 5-song demo on a friends' four-track though. Sounds really good.
Ram1

Postby Brains » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:06 pm

Len, why is a dutchman a cloggy? What does it mean?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Len » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:20 pm

[:)] Clog means "klomp". I understand that's what they call us abroad.

Of course, if anyone ever took the trouble of finding out, they would see for themselves that we don't all wear wooden shoes and live in windmills, while we happily grow tulips and other flora which would be deemed illegal in other parts of the world.
Len

Postby blackbirdla » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:36 pm

Paul McCartney was, and is, my hero. God, if it wasn't for him.....
I can proficiently play bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, percussion, sing and what have you. Why? Because as a kid, I wanted to be able to do waht Paul could. When the "Flowers" tour came to my neighborhood back in 1990, I made sure that I know every single song that I had heard he was playing on that tour. Of course, I was only 14, and I thought if Chris Whitten (the drummer at the time) died or got sick that night, I could fill in. Or if Wix had an accident, I could jump on stage. 12 years later, I know that it was through admiring Paul and musicians like him that I've been able to do what I've done.
Currently, I'm playing in an LA band named RYAN5 (http://www.ryan5.com) and this summer we've played The Whisky a Go Go (http://www.whiskyagogo.com), The Roxy , The El Rey (http://www.theelrey) and we're playing The Mint (http://www.theminthollywood) next week with some other great bands, Pawn Shop Kings (http://www.pawnshopkings.com) and Sheila Nicholls (http://www.sheilanicholls.com). Our CD is available at http://www.cdbaby.com. WE have harmonies, musicianship and great songs. Too bad it's 2002.
I'm also a solo singer-songwriter and I do the occasional showcase out here with my acoustic guitar and piano.
Basically, I'm happy to have found a forum to speak about what I love and gives me inspiration with others of the same ilk. Cool.
Oh.....go to my post on "General Macca" that say's "Proposition" on it. Those of you who live in LA or Southern Cali may find it interesting.
All the best!
blackbirdla

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:57 am

quote:Originally posted by jet
Of the whole lot, I'd say a rough estimation of fully completed songs is around 200. The rest may have finished chords and music but no lyrics, lyrics but no chords or music or in some cases I have songs with a fully completed chorus, but as of yet, no verses. With these songs, I will only bother completing them if I think the overall chorus is any good, otherwise I will record a rough demo of them and then file them away into my 'musical scrapyard', roughly meaning there may be something there that can probably be used in another song, so nothing gets wasted. This is probably why I have come to have so many songs, apart from being a very rewarding passtime as I'm sure a certain Mr McCartney understands perfectly well. 200 completed songs out of nearly 700 maybe doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm pretty hard on myself when it comes to quality control.

I see what you mean. Me, I've given you the stats already, I think. I have lots of individual lines floating around here and there, that will one day maybe get used in songs. Also, I have title ideas with no song to them as yet . . . you get the idea [:D]
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:56 pm

LOL, Len. I actually do wear clogs sometimes...[B)]
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Len » Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:52 pm

Oh no Brains! Now you've done it! The myth will be perpetuated thanks to you! And to read your post I actually had to stop working in my tulip patch and walk all those damn stairs in my windmill to get to my computer to write this? For shame!
Len

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC