Snobbery and Loathing in the Modern Day World

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Aujouret » Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:53 am

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
You're right - He's not a jerk. He is shallow for changing the song writing lyrics though - it's a bit too petty for me. But, i wouldn't call that guy a jerk - He's given us too much greatness for that to happen!!

That's better, Chris. I don't agree about Paul being petty. If anyone is petty it's Yoko. I agree with Paul that John didn't care. John was still alive when Paul did it on WOA. John never said a word and he could have easily. Yoko doesn't have any legal recourse open to her, but she is making those nasty remarks in RS, her favorite rag as J. W. is such a kiss***. The great manipulator is at it again. Only problem is that the fans love Paul and not Yoko.[:)]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:32 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
HAHA..I only meant that if she ever married anyone else, she'd MAKE them take her name. That's some lovin' I can do without even thinking about. I still have nightmares about being a 15 year old, taking off the brown wrapper of Two Virgins....gravity + Yoko= lines in the snow. Scary.

Precisely - John ONO Lennon! Case closed.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:33 am

quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
BTW, Chris, there already is an ABBA box set. And it has sold very well. It came out in 1995, I think. And the musical "Mamma Mia," which is based on Abba songs, is a major smash hit on Broadway and on the road.

There have also been a couple of ABBA tribute albums.

I think Benny and Bjorn wrote some very great pop songs. They are very melodic, and I think they deserve some praise.

Also, they were music video innovators. The short films they did with Lasse Halstrom are classics.

Precisely. ABBA are still hugely successful, and revered as one of the great acts of the 1970s. The trouble with some people on here is that they can't see any good in anything apart from Beatles, other 60s acts and extra-heavy rock. Narrow-minded hypocrites. I'm not sure I want to stick around such people.
Liam OSM

Postby scrodfish256 » Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:18 am

It's just that abba is viewed differently over here liam. The only abba songs that I have heard were fernando and dancing queen. Those songs weren't my cup of tea which gave me no reason to buy any of their music. Maybe they have really good songs, but had no urge to try it based on my first two impressions I got from them. I will not post on one of my favorite bands on here cause I know I would catch a lot of flack and I just don't feel like fighting a losing battle.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:06 am

Posting that ABBA is a superb group - you should expect to get a lot of heat. Quite frankly, they weren't that good - It's the kind of music that i believe only the elderly grandmothers in Sweden and Belgium buy. Nothing personal - but ABBA's music was always lame, sort of lacking punch, and wickedly mellow. I don't think any of the members stood out in terms of talent either vocally melodic.

As far as the broadway musical goes, what does that prove? Broadway has given us horrid versions of Tommy, Elton John, and Billy Joel. If anything, broadway doing a version of songs by a group just proves how mainstream and utterly lame the artist is.

The only good presentation fo Broadway for the music was Beatlemania. Because they didn't tinker with the songs.

I was a child when ABBA was supposedly big here in the mid 70's. Let me say this - I doubt there were big over here - Dancing Queen went to the top but Fernando and Winner takes it all barely dented the top 20.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:03 pm

Ok--they didnt have 10 #1's in a row, but they charted in the top 10 VERY often. I remember because it irritated the crap out of me. I just couldn't stand them. --or most of the other late 70's crap that masqueraded as music.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:17 pm

Liam--No reason to leave, dude. Some people don't like your music, and you don't like some of theirs. It's all good, man.

Scrod--Spill the beans. Who is one of your favorite groups that you're keeping top secret? [:)] Who knows, some of us may like them too.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:34 pm

Yeah--c'mon Scrod. You know we wont be TOO harsh, since I know I dont want anymore seaweed dreams [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby scrodfish256 » Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:10 pm

erm....It's kiss. I have a very large collection. I have grown out of them a bit in the last couple of years, but it's kind of sentimental to me since I have been a serious collector for about 10 years. They are not known to be the best group musically, so I tend to avoid debating over them. kiss unplugged is probably one of my favorite videos of all time. anway, now you know my little secret.[;)]

I know more about kiss than I do about the beatles. I wish it was the other way around right now.[:D] btw you can see paul stanley in the audience during i saw her standing there on the dvd.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:17 pm

Is that it, Scrod? That's nothing to be ashamed about. TONS of people love Kiss. Me personally, I don't really know that much about them. I mean, I know the basics, but I never bought KISS ALIVE or anything like that. Have you ever seen them live?
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC