Snobbery and Loathing in the Modern Day World

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:21 pm

Good points. I think it's more overt and calculated than you think. Example, when the Ramones are celebrated as the 70's major group, and Parliament FUnkadelic is virtually ignored in the RS compilation and the RS music guides - i gotta problem with that. When Anthony Decurtis and David Fricke and Kurt Loder (Three OF THE WORST CRITICS OF ALL-TIME)write history books for RS or other publications, they prove how shallow, ignorant, and biased they are - they don't keep objective view of the true and leading role of African-American artist in music history

The Ramones and Sex pISTOLS are some of the worst musical acts of all-time (COmbined with Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Television) - it's disconcerning to see those stooges put up and over true and talented African-American groups in nearly every book, media publication ,etc

People who are half-way educated about music see right through the B.S.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccastheman » Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:29 pm

Most music critics write from their own personal experiences. I think we have to keep that in mind. On the whole, you are probably right. P-Funk meant much more to music in general than the Ramones. Particulalry hip-hop, which is the best selling music of the past decade. However, David Fricke always has that damn Joey Ramone hair thing going. You know where he's coming from. He probably listened to nothing but the Ramonoes in high school. Same with Anthony Decurtis. He always goes on and on about the Stones, because that's what he listened to. These guys aren't objective, they are fans just like you and me. They have favorites just like we do. Granted, we don't pretend to be "experts." I guess those guys just shouldn't take themselves so damn seriously - and neither should we.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:48 pm

Chris,

Here is an excellent article about rock critics from the Austin-American Statesman:

'Yes, you are a groupie'
And 35 more things every rock critic should know
By Michael Corcoran and Robert Wilonsky

American-Statesman Staff

Thursday, March 14, 2002

Nearly 700 music critics, several of whom don't have a record review in the new Blender, will be scouring our town for information this week. Here's a heapin' helpin' of the truth all at once.

1. Writing for rollingstone.com isn't the same as writing for Rolling Stone. But then, these days writing for Rolling Stone isn't the same as writing for Rolling Stone.

2. Guitars do not "ring" or "chime." Bells do.

3. Go ahead and admit it: You don't get the Velvet Underground.

4. Using rap slang in your reviews only makes you come off more like a white kid from the suburbs.

5. The first person is not the First Amendment. It's a privilege, not a right.

6. Ryan Adams has no talent.

7. It's a record review, not a term paper.

8. Three of the most frightening words ever: "The American MOJO."

9. Your band stinks.

10. Alejandro Escovedo doesn't really like you — he's using you.

11. Lou Reed doesn't really hate you — he's just using you.

12. Dressing like a rock star doesn't make you look like a rock star: It only reinforces the stereotype that critics are musician wannabes (Boy, that's three David Fricke refs in a row.)

13. Stop trying to make Richard Thompson famous. Ain't gonna happen.

14. Dude, I can't believe we went to the same concert.

15. Do not quote other rock critics. Hanging out with them is pathetic enough.

16. Lester Bangs is dead. What's your excuse?

17. Saying you like Radiohead's "difficult" albums will only encourage them.

18. You can't have a "benefit concert" for millionaires, no matter what Don Henley says.

19. You don't really like heavy metal. So stop writing about it already.

20. Three more of the most frightening words ever: "Robert Christgau protege."

21. If you've ever received a rejection from No Depression, you might want to consider another career path.

22. Don't you dare cross the street to avoid Mojo Nixon. Five years ago you were sucking up to him.

23. If you receive a sex tape featuring a prominent R&B artist and don't dub copies for friends, then you deserve the Chicago Sun-Times.

24. If you've ever shared a hot tub with a rock star, please keep it to yourself.

25. "Yo La Tengo" is Spanish for "Critics Can't Rock."

26. Before you take a job with Rolling Stone you should know that the name on Jann Wenner's business card is "Charles Foster Kane." (This is not a joke.)

27. Let's see if you can write a concert review without using any of these words: pulsating, pounding, post-(something).

28. Greil Marcus has earned the right to not make sense. You haven't.

29. Having Courtney Love hit on you during an interview is as special as a free coffee refill.

30. Go ahead and give Willie Nelson a bad review. You know you want to.

31. Would you please stop that incessant, jerky, head-bobbing? Standing behind you at a show is like staring at a strobe light.

32. Don't ask. Don't tell. (If you're from out of town, Cheapo buys everything.)

33. Who the heck is encouraging all those telemarketers posing as publicists?

34. Three things you know nothing about: dance music, hip-hop and jazz.

35. Re: the Strokes. Make up your mind already.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:58 pm

BTW, Chris, there already is an ABBA box set. And it has sold very well. It came out in 1995, I think. And the musical "Mamma Mia," which is based on Abba songs, is a major smash hit on Broadway and on the road.

There have also been a couple of ABBA tribute albums.

I think Benny and Bjorn wrote some very great pop songs. They are very melodic, and I think they deserve some praise.

Also, they were music video innovators. The short films they did with Lasse Halstrom are classics.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:18 pm

I wouldn't exactly mention the words great and Macca in the same sentence as PRINCE, though. He comes up a bit short on the great tag. More than a bit actually. Some nice dittys, but an ego the size of mainland China. Hmm..now I get it. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:35 pm

Saying that Paul "is a jerk for changing the songwriting credits" is Paul bashing. Knock it off, Chris.
You can disagree with him, but name calling is out of line.
The bastard who killed John is a jerk, remember?
Yeah, maccas. Chris has issues alright.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Chris Speers » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:42 pm

You're right - He's not a jerk. He is shallow for changing the song writing lyrics though - it's a bit too petty for me. But, i wouldn't call that guy a jerk - He's given us too much greatness for that to happen!!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:52 pm

The main question is why would any of us care? I could care less about it, and dont think he's "petty" for it. I think it only bothers like two people in the entire world: Yoko and Chris...are you two an item? Chris Ono has a nice ring to it actually.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chris Speers » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:11 pm

We disagree on that one. Yoko has a problem with it - and i think Sean does too (i think i read that in the tabloids)

As far as Yoko and i being related, hell no!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:20 pm

HAHA..I only meant that if she ever married anyone else, she'd MAKE them take her name. That's some lovin' I can do without even thinking about. I still have nightmares about being a 15 year old, taking off the brown wrapper of Two Virgins....gravity + Yoko= lines in the snow. Scary.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC